Friday, August 12, 2011

Featured Artisan: Tippystockton

Hello everyone! Please welcome today's Featured artisan, Patricia of TippyStockton. Enjoy!

First off, tell us a little about yourself!
I am a wife and a mother to an amazing almost 24 year old son, named Kellan.  He is a recent college graduate and back at home for the first time in 5 years.  I am so happy to have him back with me, albeit for just a short time I'm sure.  I live in a small town on Puget Sound in Washington State, just about 15 miles north of Seattle.  We live in a small cottage surrounded by Cedar trees and English Country gardens.  My sweet Studio sits beneath a huge spruce tree and overlooks the lilacs, hydrangea's, and peonies.  Truly a lovely spot to be. 



How did you start creating your artwork, and how long have you been doing it?
I have always loved making things; crocheted scarfs and blankets, needlepoint, rubber stamped cards.  And I had dabbled a bit with beads, making things for myself or friends. For me, the creating began after both of my Parents passed away within months of each other.  My Dad passed away first - I had stepped away from my job realizing that I needed to concentrate on my Mom.  
Within weeks of my Dad's passing, my Mom was diagnosed with Cancer.  After her passing just 7 days from her diagnosis, I found myself in the depths of depression; the lowest I have ever felt.  My biggest fans were gone and I really had no idea what I was going to do with myself.  I just wanted to be alone.  So one day I opened my Mom's jewelry box and found a treasure trove of things that I had never seen.  Vintage pins and brooches, pearl necklaces, jeweled bracelets.  I really feel that I was meant to open that jewelry box that day.  That was the beginning.  I just started creating. 

I loaded up an ETSY shop and soon the orders were rolling in.  Feeling the need to have a bigger space, my sweet husband and neighbor built me a small Studio in our back yard.  Now Tippy Stockton could spread her wings.  In October of 2009, my Barcelona Earrings were a Lucky Magazine Fall Pick.  That really got my business going, and I was off and running.  
Where do you get your inspiration from?
I truly am inspired by all things Vintage.  But I really have a love for gorgeous gemstones.  I suppose in a way, that I get a lot of inspiration from my Mom.  She was the creative soul in our home growing up.  She could make something out of nothing. 
Outside of crafting what else do you enjoy doing? 
I absolutely love to garden, read a good book, and troll through magazines.  I do have a thing for magazines.  Having worked in the design field for many years, I also love interior design.  We have lived in our home for 21 years, and I know that the interior has been painted at least 10 times.  I'm just finishing up my Sunroom - cheery gray/aqua walls, white painted furniture, and lots of lush plants.  My happy room.  

Is there anything else you would like to share?
Out of sadness, I really feel that I have finally found what God had in store for me.  My little company has grown beyond my belief.  Surrounding myself with people who have the same goals and aspirations has been a Godsend.  Last Summer I hosted a "girls night out" barbeque here at my home.  

Two weeks later I received a call that the folks over at Where Women Cook wanted to feature my story and photos from the party in a new book called, "Where Women Cook - CELEBRATE".  The book debuts in September as part of The Creative Connection in Minneapolis.  So good things have definitely happened along the way.  I am truly blessed in so many ways.  On August 1, I really took the plunge and launched my own "dot.com".  www.tippystockton.com opened for business . . . 


Patricia wanted me to mention that she is having a CELEBRATION SALE at her new website right now. Everything is 25% off.  Prices are reflected on site. 

SHOP

www.tippystockton.com

Thank you for the lovely interview Patricia.
 

3 Comments:

We love Patricia! What a sweet friend and kindred spirit!!! My mom, friends, and I treasure having beautiful pieces she has created in our own collections.

: )

Julie M.

Thanks for your comment Julie. I have always admired Patricia's beautiful work. In addition, a sweet and inspiring story. I am honored to have featured her at my blog. Anna :)

I like your creative work,has the small cottage and garden been decorated by you?!!

Fatima

send gift to pakistan from uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More