Friday, June 03, 2011

Featured Artisan: Littlewrenpottery

Today, Anna Kay Creations is featuring Victoria of Littlewrenpottery.  Victoria produces hand thrown stoneware pottery in the UK, all of her work is both functional and decorative designed for everyday use.

First off, tell us a little about yourself!

Hi, I'm Victoria and I run Little Wren Pottery in North East England. The North East isn't very well known for its craft scene more it's industrial past as a ship building and mining community.


I create all the pieces for my shop by hand throwing them on my pottery wheel with stoneware clay. I particularly love to create tableware pottery that can be used and admired everyday. I think its important that what you create has some sort of 'function' rather than being purely decorative and I often find I'll think of a person using a piece while I'm creating it.

How did you start creating your artwork, and how long have you been doing it?

I started creating pieces of pottery in 2009 so I've been throwing now for about 2-3 years. I've seen my work vastly improve during that time. I started by learning the basics and using the facilities of my local college, my dad who's also a potter also taught me a lot of skills. It's great that we can work together and I get the benefit of all his knowledge!




Where do you get your inspiration from?

I really admire the work of Isaac Button, Shoji Hamada, Bernard Leach and Michael Cardew


I also get a lot of inspiration from the history of where I live it's shipping heritage and the time I spend outside in the garden watching little birds hopping around - sometimes they make it onto my pots.

Outside of crafting what else do you enjoy doing?

I love the satisfying and gentle art of knitting, I love to make cable jumpers and anything with a cowl neckline. I tend to my vegetables outside in the garden, bake cakes and watch old movies and tv shows. At the moment I'm really into Blake 7.




Is there anything else you would like to share? 

I really love melted cheese. Seriously though thanks for featuring me on your blog!
 

I would like to thank Victoria for allowing me to share her lovely work with you. Victoria can be found at any of the links listed below.




Have a great weekend! xoxo

4 Comments:

Great interview! I certainly have a greater appreciation for clay throwers after taking a pottery wheel class. It is a tricky art!!! ~Val

What nice pieces she has and only doing it a few years. Never would have guessed. I love her unexpected comment about the melted cheese.

@Val, thanks for your comment. I have to agree, great interview...

@Finding Charm, thank you for taking the time to comment on this interview.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More