Friday, September 09, 2011

Featured Artisan: BeadLightning


Please welcome today's Featured artisan, Amanda of BeadLightning Jewelry. 


First off, tell us a little about yourself!
Greetings all! My name is Amanda the owner and designer behind BeadLightning Jewelry. Jewelry is my life, I have been known to drive my friends and family a bit mad with my constant talk of jewelry, beads, and designs that are floating in my head. 

I share my house with my sweetheart, Ben, and a pair of delightfully crazy cats, Tao and Espeon. I grew up in Atlanta but have spent the last ten years living in Pennsylvania. Since I met Ben I have been on some amazing adventures, like spending a month exploring the Twin Cities and working as a Naturalist for a Summer Camp in the North Woods of Minnesota.

I love reading and absorbing as much knowledge as I can stuff into my mind, especially if it has to do with Mythology and foreign cultures, when I am not sponging knowledge I am getting lost in a good fantasy novel.

How did you start creating your artwork, and how long have you been doing it?
I started creating jewelry about ten years ago, it started as a gift from my mother and just exploded into an obsession that has taken over my life. 

For my 16th birthday my mother (who was always looking for artsy gifts to give me in hopes to help me with my creative impulse but lack of interest in my conventional art forms) bought me a very basic jewelry making kit. It was full of seed beads, plastic beads, and finding, I was enchanted...I had always thought that jewelry making was a sacred art that only a select few had access to learn...and here was the opportunity for me to make that most sacred of thing. I had finally found my creative outlet and it has been a wonderful journey.



Where do you get your inspiration from?
I find inspiration everywhere! I constantly find myself reading Mythology books or hiking in the woods and thinking, 'wow, this would make a really interesting piece of jewelry' I have a large portfolio filled with ideas for future jewelry pieces that have been inspired by everything from nature to interesting sounding words. 


Outside of crafting what else do you enjoy doing? 
When I am not surrounded by beads I spend my time working on my favorite hobby: Nature Photography! I love hiking, hunting for mushrooms, stalking thunderstorms, following wildlife, and ogling bugs for the perfect photo. I am also a huge fan of video games and RPGs. Yes, I am a giant nerd :) There is also my interest in Feng Shui that keeps me occupied, but luckily that does not take up as much time as my other hobbies.

Is there anything else you would like to share?
All of the items in BeadLighting are completely One of a Kind. 
 Each piece has its own unique story behind it, won't you come discover one that speaks to you?


 LINKS:



Thanks for the lovely interview, Amanda!







3 Comments:

I love that first necklace, so beautiful.
I wish someone would get it for me hahaha.

Thank you so much for the wonderful feature!

My pleasure Amanda. Thank you for allowing me to share your feature with my readers :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More