Friday, July 13, 2012

Featured Artisan: Luna Jewelry

First off, tell us a little about yourself!

My name is Julia, and I am a traditional artist and jewelry designer from Central Massachusetts.  I am also happily married with two daughters, who keep me pretty busy!  
Source
How did you start creating your jewelry, and how long have you been doing it?

I discovered Etsy around four years ago or so, and while browsing around, I happened upon some really beautiful pendants using re-purposed scrabble tiles.  I became intrigued, so I found some tutorials online and tried them out with old game pieces that my mother-in-law had.  From there I bought my first set of jewelry pliers and borrowed a book from my local library called Bead on a Wire by Sharilyn Miller.  I soon found that the creative possibilities for jewelry were endless, and I just fell in love.  My idea of creating something beautiful and being able to wear it and share it with others became my passion. 
Source
Outside of crafting, what else do you enjoy doing?

I love reading, taking walks with my family, and doing yoga.  I've found that taking this time for myself every day helps to keep me centered and also keeps the creative juices flowing. 
Source
Where do you get your inspiration from?

I love nature and use what I see around me as my inspiration. We live on a historic road called Devils Elbow (no joke!). It's quiet and full of visual treats (birds, bees, butterflies, frogs, bunnies, and even the occasional bobcat).  I also love being outside with my daughters and seeing the world through their eyes. Sometimes they will point out little things that I miss, and it will spark a new creation. 
Source
Is there anything else you would like to share?

Yes- if there is something crafty that you love to do, and you dream of earning money while doing it, GO FOR IT!  I was laid off from my corporate America job in March of 2009, and I decided to open my Etsy shop that August instead of heading back into the workforce.  Some days were tough, but for the most part I have not regretted my decision. I get to spend more time with my family now, and creating beautiful jewelry is now my job. For me, it doesn't get much better than that!
Source


Links:

0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More